Read these 5 books to be happy and live your most exciting life
Happiness is a state of mind. These books will teach you how to achieve this state of mind and be happy.
Firstly, remember that happiness is not a constant state of euphoria.
Instead, happiness is an overall sense of experiencing more positive emotions than negative ones.
Now coming to the books that will help you be your happiest version, here is the list of our top picks –
#1 The Happiness Advantage: How a Positive Brain Fuels Success in Work and Life – Shawn Achor
About the Author –
- Shawn Achor is one of the world’s leading experts on happiness, success, and potential.
- His research has graced the cover of Harvard Business Review, and his TED Talk is one of the most popular of all time, with more than 15 million views.
- Shawn spent twelve years at Harvard before bringing this research to nearly half the Fortune 100, as well as places like the Pentagon, impoverished schools in Africa, and the White House.
- His research has also been published in top psychology journals and featured in the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, Forbes, and Fortune.
- His interview with Oprah Winfrey and his PBS program have been seen by millions. He now serves on the World Happiness Council and continues his research.
About the Book –
- He conducted the largest ever study on happiness and human potential, surveying more than 1600 students.
- Based on this study, Achor reveals the 7 core principles of positive psychology that every person can practice to enhance our performance, improve our careers and achieve success at work.
- Positive Psychology suggests that the proposition that we will feel happy if, and when, we become successful is not true. In fact, as Achor explains in ‘The Happiness Advantage’, happiness actually drives performance and success.
#2 The Art of Happiness – Dalai Lama
The Art of Happiness is the book that started the genre of happiness books, and it remains the cornerstone of the field of positive psychology.
This book has actually written by a psychiatrist, Dr.Cutler, based on interviews conducted over a period of one week with His Holiness the Dalai Lama.
Dr.Howard C. Cutler explores the Dalai Lama’s teachings from a scientific angle and explains to it’s readers how they themselves hold the key to their happiness. This is one of the best books to read if you want to be truly happy.
#3 Authentic Happiness: Using the New Positive Psychology to Realize Your Potential for Lasting Fulfillment – Martin E.P. Seligman
Seligman, a psychologist and best-selling author puts forward the idea that happiness is not due to ‘having the right genes’ or ‘being lucky’.
Rather, according to Seligman, true, enduring happiness (i.e. ‘authentic happiness’) is the result of paying attention to one’s personal strengths rather than focusing on perceived weaknesses.
Yup, I will leave you at that – I think just this description will be enough for you to give this book a read.
#4 The Power of Positive Thinking by Dr. Norman Vincent Peale
In this phenomenal bestseller – “Written with the sole objective of helping the reader achieve a happy, satisfying, and worthwhile life,” Dr. Peale demonstrates the power of faith in action.
With the practical techniques outlined in this book, you can energize your life—and give yourself the initiative needed to carry out your ambitions and hopes.
You’ll learn how to:
1. Believe in yourself and in everything you do;
2. Build new power and determination;
3. Develop the power to reach your goals;
4. Break the worry habit and achieve a relaxed life;
5. Improve your personal and professional relationships;
6. Assume control over your circumstances;
7. Be kind to yourself.
#5 The How of Happiness by Sonja Lyubomirsky
The How of Happiness is a comprehensive guide to understanding the elements of happiness based on years of ground-breaking scientific research.
It is also a practical, empowering, and easy-to-follow workbook, incorporating happiness strategies, exercises in new ways of thinking, and quizzes for understanding our individuality, all in an effort to help us realize our innate potential for joy and ways to sustain it in our lives.
Drawing upon years of pioneering research with thousands of men and women, The How of Happiness is both a powerful contribution to the field of positive psychology and a gift to people who have sought to take their happiness into their own hands.